Chartered, August 1st, 1919. 
 
Celebrating a Century of Changing Lives in Marshall – and Beyond, August 24th, 2019
 
The fascinating history of Marshall Rotary is filled with stories of ordinary men and women doing ordinary things; many times, with extraordinary results.  To visualize and understand an entity as old and complex as the Marshall Texas Rotary club, is to think of it as a giant transparent balloon filled with butterflies.  Anyone outside of the balloon can see the butterflies, but the only way to really know how the Marshall Rotary club has changed, or is changing the world around it, is to study those butterflies; in this case, two very special butterflies, Gail Beil and Sebastian Hammann, who were drawn into the “Rotary balloon” through a Rotary International program called Rotary Youth Exchange, which encourages high school students in one country to spend a year as a student in another country.
 
The Rotary Club of Marshall Texas is often thought of as an “exclusive Old-Man’s club”.  In the beginning that was, in a sense, true, but only when observed from outside.  The founders of Rotary International were relatively young businessmen in their forties and fifties, as were most of the founders of the Marshall Rotary club. 
 
Many of them stayed in the club for thirty or forty years and did, indeed, attain the status of “old men”, but young or old, they were all boys at heart, and one of their missions was to see that boys and girls in Marshall had the same chance for a better life as they did.
 
Six months after being admitted into the Rotary International organization, the club held a Father-And-Son banquet in the Hotel Marshall, the purpose of which was to “learn more about the young men and give them the unusual opportunity of meeting the businessmen on a common plane”.
 
The Rotary Club of Marshall Texas has sponsored four clubs.  The first was the Longview club in 1929, the Carthage club was co-sponsored with the Center Rotary Club in 1945, the third was Marshall -Metro in 1981, and the last was Hallsville.  The most challenging sponsorship was Hallsville in 1988, which already had a strong, well established, and functioning Lions club.  Moreover, there were no Rotarians living in Hallsville and there was no interest in starting a Rotary club by anyone living in Hallsville at the time.
  
None the less, during his official visit to the Marshall Rotary club, September 7th & 8th, 1988, District Governor Tom Bagwell challenged the Marshall club to start a new Rotary club in Hallsville.  Rotary president, Jim Fitzgerald, not wanting to let the governor down, said he would try.  As soon as he could, he met with his friend Admiral Sam Moore, and ask him if he would take the lead in starting a new club in Hallsville.  Sam’s answer was “yes”, and a most unlikely enterprise had begun.
 
Looking back over the history of The Rotary Club of Marshall, Texas, USA, during the first 98 years, three months, and almost two weeks, has revealed a fascinating history of the Marshall Rotary club.  Using the data-search feature of Newspapers.com, to search the archives of The Marshall News Messenger, from August 1st, 1919 through November 12, 2017, has also revealed some fascinating numbers:
 
Harrison County Judge Hugh Taylor updated the Marshall Rotary club yesterday on the progress of I-69 (now I-369) yesterday, and held a large crowd’s attention, as he described the progress being made on the Marshall, Harrison County portion of the proposed interstate highway, and how the funds are being spent. The club Strongly Suppored his work on Harrisson Count's and Marshall's behalf.
 
Nighty eight years ago, County Judge W. H. Strength stood before the same club and made basically the same speech, before an enthusiastic audience.  The topic, however was not Interstate highways, but seeing that we have good gravel roads, at a price not exceeding the $8,000 approved on the bond issue, previously passed by the voters.  The Rotary club moved that the club go on record as supporting Judge Strength.  
 
We are proud of Marshall Rotary for supporting good roads, in these two instances and others too numerous to include, for nighty-eight years and counting.
Created in 1976, The Marshall Rotary Civic Achievment Award was given to active Rotarians in recognition of their service and  contributions to the local community.
 
What makes Rotary so special?  Why do Rotarians give so much with so little outward recognition? You never see a hospital, school, or stadium displaying the Rotary Emblem, or "Rotary's" name.  There is a reason for that, which can be so fittingly expressed in just  99 words, when Past  President Hal Cornish had them included in the Marshall "Rotary Reporter" February 23, 1988.  They are as true today as they were then. Thank you for reminding us of this truth Hal:
 
The first annual Faux Paws Dog Walk was the brainchild of Karen Partee, wife of Bryan Partee, a Rotarian in the Marshall Rotary Club.  Karen and Bryan were the adopted parents of two shelter-held Dachshunds who captured their hearts and filled their lives with joy and companionship. 
 
In 2003, sensing a need to encourage others to adopt shelter animals, the two came up with a plan, called  the "Faux Paws Dog Walk".   This became a vehicle to raise a few dollars for the local Humane Society and a Rotary Project called Polio Plus.  Here are a few excerpts from The Marshall News Messenger story announcing this event, by Lavern Hughey, dated, Sunday, April 13, 2003; and the story reporting on the event a day after it was held by Stephanie Durham, Sunday, April 27, 2003:
 
A doggone good time was had Saturday and over $8,000 was raised for the Humane Society of Harrison County, thanks to almost Fifty sponsors and dozens of pooches and their owners who turned out for the 16th annual Faux Paws Dog Walk in downtown Marshall, to not only raise funds for the Humane Society, but also raise awareness about the dogs that are available for adoption at the society’s animal shelter, The Pet Place, 1901 Jefferson Avenue, behind Walmart.  
 
These benches were originally placed at the area now known as Telegraph Park, which was, at the time, a place for visitors to relax and enjoy the downtown scene, know as "Rotary Park".
There were 4 benches, in total.  When the city took over that area and created the Telegraph Park, the benches were removed and stored at the Sheriff’s secure storage area. They had been pushed to the back of the building and moved, numerous times.
 
I asked the club for suggestions on where to prominently place them for a visual “advertisement” of Rotary. The benches all have the 4-way test and the Marshall Rotary logo as well as the “ROTARY” stamped in the back rest. The Harrison County Building Maintenance supervisor, Mark Knuckols accepted 2 of the benches to be placed at the front visitors entrance to the courthouse.
 
They were removed from the storage area, cleaned, and permanently placed in the area on Wednesday, April 12, 2018.
 
The other 2 are still in storage and waiting for a suitable location to be accepted. One of them has damage to a leg, but could be easily fixed.
 
For Information please contact Jay Webb.  
Harrison County Sheriff's Office
903-923-4000
   
The Rotary Club of Marshall Texas accepted the Challenge of 2017-18 Rotary International President, Ian H.S. Riseley, to develop projects with Rotaract and Interact Club support and collaborate with community partners and local experts by planting a tree for every member of the club. The goal was to PLANT A TREE by Earth Day, April 22, 2018.  Since it was organized in 1919, The Rotary Club of Marshall Texas has been a strong supporter of education for boys and girls of Marshall and Harrison County.  
 
This year, all fifty trees were planted one month ahead of schedule, March 3, 2018, by Marshall & Marshall-Metro Presidents Louraiseal McDonald, and Charles Cornish, other Marshall Rotarians, Interactors, Rotaractors, RYLA campers and friends and family at 5 brand new MISD campuses in Marshall.  Congratulations, Marshall Rotary!
 
 
           
Years in the making, Rotaract has arrived in Marshall Texas!  Organized last December,  the Rotaract Club of Wiley College, sponsored by The Rotary  Club of Marshall, has already completed a project in support of the hurricane ravaged Houston area, and assisted the Marshall club in preparing 900 dictionaries for distribution to all of the third-graders of Harrison County.  Way to go Wiley Rotaractors.
 
          The story behind the man, Issac "Ike" Hockwald, The Founder and First President of the Rotary Club of Marshall Texas
          
The story of the early beginnings of The Rotary club of Marshall Texas is a story of a few business men who were actively involved in the social and business issues of the community of their day. The stories behind the story of the Rotary Club of Marshall Texas and the men who founded it, are as fascinating as the stories themselves.  Long before the club was chartered into the International Association of Rotary Clubs on August 1st, 1919, the men involved in its beginning were hard at work guiding and shaping the character and direction of the city.  Ike Hockwald was one of those men. 
Stacy Adams made the initial contact with MISD in October to start a new Interact club at the high school, and has several Members lined up to be Interact Counselors, and the club now has over 25 member signed up, and held its first meeting October 30th.
 
 
 
 
 
Club Administration
President Elect
Immediate Past President
Secretary
Treasurer
Assistant Treasurer
Rotaract Chair
Chief Sergeant at Arms
Website Administrator
District Liaison
Membership Chair
Community Service Chair
Blood Drive Coordinator
Speaker's Book Donations
RYLA Coordinator
4-Way Speech Coordinator
Dictionary Coordinator
Diploma Plus Chair
Rotary Foundation Coordinator
Song Leader
Scholarship Chair
Public Image Coordinator
Centennial Celebration Chair
Faux Paws Chair
Flags Program Chair
Spelling BEE Coordinator
Touch Point Coordinator
 
Rotary Club of Marshall, Texas USA

We meet Thursdays at 12:00 PM
Panola-Harrison Electric Cooperative
410 E Houston Street
Marshall, TX  75670
United States
DistrictSiteIcon
District Site
VenueMap
Venue Map